I took a break from script writing yesterday to try and beat a pressing deadline for a call for submissions for a journal. I found out about the call for submissions on November 24 and the deadline was for November 30. It was something I really wanted to submit something to.
But I had nothing, not even drafts of older work that I could reconfigure to suit the requirements of the call. I waited to see if I could come up with something but nothing had come.
Then an idea hit me. I went through my Twitter poems and scanned through my whole feed and picked out the pieces with similar imagery and themes — all of which were related to the theme of the call for submission.
And then I spent the whole day restructuring all the pieces and wrote a few more verses to help create a sense of unity for the entire piece.
I called it The Lamentation Suite and sent it in yesterday.
I hope it gets in. If it doesn’t, that’s fine. I’ll send it out to other places. I’m happy with what came out and all the stuff that I’ve been learning (or re-learning, to be more precise) has come into play.
I also feel like my line cutting has improved a lot since I’ve been returning to my poetry books and gone back to the basics.
These Twitter poems were just meant to be exercises. A way to practice brevity and precision. It was meant as an exercise to improve my ability to condense my thoughts and not to run away with the metaphor and unnecessarily over-extended the imagery. But now, after having written so much, they’ve taken a life of their own and have developed and grown into full-fledge poems.